What To Do If You Are The Victim Of A Road Rage Car Accident
Everyone feels anger or frustration behind the wheel of a car at some point. However, when a driver acts on that anger and endangers those around him or her, or causes an accident, it can lead to catastrophic injuries or even death. If you are the victim of a road rage car accident, you may have serious or permanent injuries, tens of thousands of dollars of property damage, pain and suffering and the inability to return to work. You may have the right to receive compensation for all of your injuries and losses. Contact a personal injury attorney experienced with road rage car accidents at Labrum Law Firm to visit for free about your case today at (615) 338-9500.
Understanding Road Rage
Shockingly, one-third of all drivers have engaged in dangerous behavior as a result of their own personal road rage, according to research published in the Psychiatry MMC Journal. In most cases, drivers calm down quickly and never engage in continued negligent behavior to actually cause a serious car accident. However, when a driver fails to control their anger, their aggressive behavior can result in serious injuries or even death. Some of the common behaviors associated with road rage include the following:
- Shouting at other drivers or honking a horn excessively
- Making lewd gestures or comments to other drivers
- Brandishing a weapon while driving
- Pushing another vehicle off of the roadway, or blocking a vehicle from moving in the roadway
- Intentionally crashing into another vehicle
- Forcing another vehicle to stop or run off of the roadway, and then exiting the vehicle to engage in a physical confrontation
- Using a weapon, such as a gun, to actually harm another driver or passenger on the roadway.
- Tailgating too closely to the vehicle in front of them
- Failing to follow the rules of the roadway, including failing to yield the right of way, driving through stop signs or red lights, making aggressive or dangerous lane changes, or speeding aggressively
Becoming a victim of road rage is a terrifying experience, often resulting in serious injuries or losses. If you experienced any of the above as part of your car accident, visit with the attorneys at Labrum Law Firm to better understand your next steps and all of your legal rights.
Avoid Becoming a Victim of a Road Rage Car Accident
As a driver, you should always operate your vehicle in a defensive manner. Make sure to stay safe by planning ahead and always giving yourself enough time and space to make changes to your plans. If you need to exit the highway due to the aggressive driver next to you, you will feel more comfortable doing so if you have given yourself extra time to get to your destination. Make sure to always err on the side of caution and simply remove yourself from any aggressive driver's space if possible. Never argue back with a driver while operating a motor vehicle, change lanes safely to exit their immediate vicinity, and if possible, simply leave the roadway altogether. Remaining safe is more important than reaching your destination in a timely manner.
What To Do If You Are a Victim of Road Rage
If you suffered injuries or losses as a result of an aggressive driver, you should consider following these steps:
- Contact the police immediately. If you failed to do this at the scene of the accident, you should do so as soon as possible. Make sure as you wait for the police to stay away from the aggressive driver, as they could physically harm you even further after both vehicles have stopped. Request a copy of the official police report after it is completed by the police officer. The Tennesee Highway Patrol typically has their police reports prepared approximately one week following car accidents.
- Seek immediate medical attention. If an ambulance arrives at the scene of the accident, you should make sure you receive a medical evaluation in order to determine if you have any internal injuries or injuries hidden as a result of adrenaline. If you failed to receive immediate medical evaluation or attention, you should do so as soon as possible. Receiving an official medical evaluation and diagnosis of any injuries will help ensure that you have a greater chance of receiving compensation for your injuries from the negligent party at a later time. Additionally, you should keep all of your medical bills and follow all of the medical advice from your physician.
- Keep a journal of all of your accident information. Try to document the event as well as you can immediately after the road rage car accident. Sometimes, victims of road rage car accidents often forget small details that can help prove liability and negligence at a later time. Additionally, keep track of all of your medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering. You may have the right to receive compensation for all of these injuries and losses. Visiting with a personal injury attorney that understands road rage car accident at Labrum Law Firm can help you better understand all of your options to receive compensation following your car accident.
How an Attorney Can Help You Following Your Road Rage Car Accident
Visiting with an attorney following your road rage car accident can help you in many ways including the following:
- Ensure that you receive all of the proper medical attention you need in order to build a strong personal injury case
- Ensure that all documentation and evidence is collected regarding your road rage car accident through an independent investigation, if necessary
- Contact expert witnesses to provide additional validation regarding your claims of injuries and details regarding your road rage car accident
- Calculate all of the compensation you may have a legal right to receive including medical bills, future medical costs, lost wages, loss of future wages, pain and suffering, psychological trauma, property damage, and other losses such as loss of enjoyment of life
- Negotiate on your behalf with an insurance company in order to receive a fair and just settlement
- File a claim and provide legal representation if an insurance company does not provide a fair settlement in order to receive compensation through a trial
Contact the experienced road rage car accident attorneys at Labrum Law Firm at (615) 338-9500 to better understand how a personal injury attorney can help you following your road rage car accident, and help ensure your legal rights remain protected.